If you are considering custom cabinets or semi-custom cabinets you must be building or updating your home. The question is which type cabinetry is best for your kitchen? Due to easy access to information, you might have encountered cabinet terminologies such as stock, semi-custom and custom cabinets. If you are overwhelmed with which cabinets to choose, let us walk you through the difference between semi-custom and custom cabinets and their corresponding benefits.
Semi-Custom or Custom Cabinets? Which Way to Go?
The differences between semi and custom-made cabinet may seem too confusing for an ordinary person since both have changeable options. However, the factors such as size, type of material and level of customization vary significantly between the two.
Semi-Custom Cabinets Pros and Cons:
- The price is generally lower compared to fully-custom cabinetry
- Additional features can be added if the storage is provisional
- Most cabinet doors are tailored to standard size, but the moldings can be an extra added featured
- One of the biggest disadvantages of semi-custom is that the cabinets are pre-made and only offer limited flexibility and options
- Another disadvantage is the quality of the materials. Since it is pre-made, the materials used are basically the same with stock cabinets.
Custom Cabinet Pros:
- Custom cabinets offers limitless options and flexibility. You can choose which type of wood to use, the kind of wood finish to apply, the shape, the moldings, the functions – limitless.
- Customized cabinetry allows you to maximize space especially the corner areas of your home fully. Woodworkers and long-time kitchen contractors know that corner areas are common pain points. But a customized kitchen cabinet layout will enable you to maximize kitchen corner space with cabinets, pullouts, and a custom built lazy susans.
- You can expect exceptional quality work when buying custom cabinets. A local cabinet maker will ensure all materials are made from high-grade material and are all properly crafted before installing them in your home.
Many people share a common misconception about custom cabinets being expensive. It’s not always the case especially if you’re investing to increase your home’s resale value. If you want to have a fully functional kitchen that has sufficient storage and an efficient workspace, we recommend you go with custom cabinets.